Hello BigTent Admins,
You’ve let us know through the Customer Satisfaction Survey that you’d like more tips on how to use BigTent, so we are going to grant this request! Look out for weekly “how to” tips to help you manage your group.
For this week’s tip, here are the details on how to manage member permissions.
What Permissions are in Place by Default?
- By default, all group administrators have posting, moderation and admin permissions for all components (e.g., group enrollment or accounting functions, event / calendar-related functions, group news postings, and file uploading, as well as forum and group news moderation functions).
- By default, members joining the group can post to the forums, and view just about everything else. You can assign additional permissions for members to post an event, group news, files, etc. When assigning posting permissions to group members for events and news, be aware that they will be able to notify all other group members via email about events or news entries they themselves have posted.
Who can assign permissions? What can be assigned? And to whom?
- Group administrators have permission to perform all administrative functions, including assigning other members to be group administrators and administrators of subgroups.
- A group or subgroup administrator can assign permissions to individual members to perform roles associated with enrollment, managing membership data, and accounting functions.
- At the feature level, a group administrator can assign permissions to members to perform event / calendar-related functions, group news postings, and file uploading, as well as forum and group news moderation functions. Refer to the detailed table below to see exactly what a member endowed with each permission can do.
Using the Drop-Down to View Permissions by Feature
To give someone permissions to a specific feature:
1) Click the “Roles in:” drop-down menu on the permissions page
2) Select your feature (e.g., calendar)
3) Click “Filter”
4) Click the “Add a member” link located under the role you want to give the member, (e.g., post, moderate, etc.)
Please note: If you are granting permissions within a subgroup, the member must already be enrolled in the subgroup to be granted permission.
Granting Permissions to All Members for Files and Events
You can grant permissions to all of your members at once to post events and files. If you grant all group members permission to post to the calendar or the files, they can post new entries, but they can only edit the files or events they have created, not other members’ events or files.
1) Select “events” or “files” from the drop-down menu.
2) Click “Filter.”
3) Underneath “Post” click the “change” link.
4) Select “all group members” (e.g., post, moderate, etc.)
If you’d like a visual, go here for a video how-to guide.
As always, please go to support.bigtent.com to find answers to any additional questions, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The BigTent Team